Abs or abdominal muscles are a vital area of concern for most fitness conscious people. Working out these muscles with the help of specialized ab toning equipment is essential for proper required outcomes of different abdominal exercises. However, selection of the best ab machines is not that easy.
With abdominal exercise equipment, you can bring the gym to you and just 15 minutes a day will give you results in no time. So, if the allure of sharp abs is too much to resist, check out our choices for the best abs machines, and achieve that ripped body you’ve always craved, with plenty of time until the summer rolls back around.
All of this, however, depends on which ab machine you opt to buy. Different ones function in different ways, so you should buy what’s best for you according to your goals. But to get you started, here’s a list of ab trainers that will definitely help you level up the difficulty of your go-to core workout. They’ve been selected based on user reviews and top rankings on trusted online retail sites like Amazon and Walmart.
Key Considerations for Ab Machines
There are many aspects to consider when purchasing an ab machine. First, we’ll take a look at the bigger picture items: comfort, effectiveness, durability, and value.
- Comfort: Comfort is not limited to the ab machine’s padding. When looking for a unit that is right for you, it needs to fit. If you are tall, you don’t want to be contorting your body just to get it to fit on the machine; if you are short, you don’t want to be reaching and overextending while exercising.
- Effectiveness: If it doesn’t work, it’s not going to help you reach your goals. For instance, muscle stimulators may claim to tone the body, but they have only been proven effective in pain management and rehabilitation.
- Durability: An ab machine must be sturdy enough to handle heavy use two to three times every week. If your unit wears out quickly or breaks, it will be of no use to you.
- Value: Value is more than the price. Purchasing an ab machine that costs less but wears out quickly is not a good value. Purchasing one that lasts for years but doesn’t produce results is also not a good value.
5 Best Ab Machines in 2021:
Most ab rollers have flat wheels. But the Ab Carver Pro has a wide, rounded wheel that lets you roll out to the side, engaging your abs, obliques, arms, and back. And unlike simple rollers, the Ab Carver Pro uses a spring mechanism that provides resistance as you roll out, and assistance as you roll back.
More than 4000 Amazon reviewers have reviewed the Ab Carver Pro—and more than 87 percent of them give it either four or five stars. That means only around 50 people—out of over 4,150 users—think it’s anything less than fantastic.
The Ab Carver Pro features comfortable padded, ergonomic hand grips. It comes with kneepads, a downloadable 21-day workout plan, and a one-year warranty.
- Practically impeccable; clearly, the thing works
- The handles are uniquely shaped for comfort and ergonomics
- Wobbly if used on different surfaces
If you have room for a fitness machine, consider investing in an ab coaster, like the Tristar Products Ab Coaster MAX. Because the machine relies on a simple sliding motion, it’s incredibly straightforward and easy to use.
Start by standing on top of the built-in footplate and gripping the cushioned handlebars. Then, engage your core to bend your knees and slide the footplate up toward your chest. Keep your core engaged as you slide the footplate back down in a slow, controlled manner to complete one rep. This motion should strengthen your core from top to bottom—without putting any strain on your neck.
And if you want to challenge your obliques, you can always turn so that your feet are facing one corner of the footplate and complete your reps from there.
- Ergonomically designed handles
- No need to assemble as it is already ready to use
- Lifetime warranty that allows replacing the parts if damaged
- Long time warranty
- It is prone to easy breakage
- Might be difficult to handle by new comers or novice trainers
In terms of value, this Fitnessery Ab Machine will do an excellent job without worrying about adding a bunch of features that you might not even use. If you’re just looking to build a stronger core, then this is one of the best options for you, while not causing you to spend a fortune on advanced equipment.
Made from strong, durable materials, it’s built to last, while you’ll also be comfortable during your workout, with extra-comfortable handles and smooth operation to make this one of the simplest rolling machines that you can find. For now, you’ll also be gifted to three free gifts, including a knee pad for extra comfort and two e-books that can help maximize your approach to better health, and make everything feel much easier.
- Saves money on a gym membership
- Provided e-books give you vital info on health and nutrition
- Ergonomic design for maximum comfort
- Handles could have better grip squish
If you want abs that you can grate cheese on, you need the Bssay Ab Roller. At 3.7” wide, it’s much wider than most ab rollers out there on the market and that makes it steadier. It can handle up to 600 pounds of weight without wobbling, which allows for unrestricted movement and better exercise. If you’re a big guy, the Bssay Ab Roller will let you work on your abs confidently.
Made from stainless steel non-slip TPR, and durable PVC, this is a super-tough ab machine. It also won’t cause any damage to your carpet or wood floor, which is a problem we’ve come across in cheaper ab machines. This extra-wide ab roller comes with free resistance bands, so you can steadily up the intensity of your ab exercises until every rep burns. Plus, you get a bonus knee pad thrown in as well.
- Extra width makes it steady
- Doesn’t damage floors
- Comes with bonus gifts
- You have to assemble it yourself
It’s way more than just a sit-up bench. The included adjustable resistance bands let you target your abs, arms, shoulders, back, core, and legs in one machine.
The Ultimate Body Works bench offers 50-plus exercises. With four adjustable resistance bands you can increase weight resistance up to 50 lbs. beyond your own body weight. You get greater versatility and range of motion, for a wider variety of exercises that strengthen muscle and increase flexibility.
It’s easy to increase or decrease the intensity of your workout by simply changing the incline of the glide board. And best of all, it slides away and tucks out of sight for quick and easy storage.
- Legendary, renowned name brand
- Seven incline options
- Workout guide included
- Not ideal for taller athletes 6’4″-plus
What to Look for in the Ab Machines
- Fitness Level: There are tons of different ab machines out there—some of which are beginner-friendly, and some that are more advanced. Consider where you are in your fitness journey, and select a piece of equipment that meets you there.
- Size: Some ab machines are bulky, while others are decidedly small space-friendly. Consider your space—and your habits—when selecting a piece of equipment. Do you like working out on-the-go? Make sure to select a more portable option.
- Workout Style: Different ab machines lend themselves to different ab workouts, so find one that suits your preferences. If you hate sit-ups, avoid ab rockers and roman chairs—try an ab roller or ab coaster, instead.
Essential Tips When Training Abs
You can’t just dive into ab training without first knowing how to get the most out of it, but that’s why we’re here to give you a helping hand.
- Switch up your workout every 4 – 6 weeks so you don’t get bored and also help you target all of the abdominal muscles.
- Include cardiovascular exercise to burn off stored calories and get rid of the layer of fat that’s covering your abs.
- Indulge in resistance training to help burn a greater amount of calories than you would with mere ab-only training.
- Ensure a proper diet to increase the chances of getting chiseled abs as no matter how hard you try, you can’t work out a bad diet.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for advice from people with more experience if you’re having difficulties, it only takes a second to learn some new information and maybe make some new friends!
So, this was a lineup of the best ab machines for your work out needs. Depending on your needs and requirements, you can choose the best ab machines suitable for yourself. You can find some good options from these ab machine reviews.
For the people who do not intend to be a professional athlete and want something less space consuming and easy to manage around, the AB wheel is a better option. However, for the real fitness conscious users who are looking for a professional composite form of machine to fulfill a number of exercise needs, the sit up bench is much more suitable.